Press Release from BLUE RIDGE COMMUNICATIONS Ephrata, PA
Sept 12, 2013
We owe today’s U.S. service members a debt that can never be repaid. Just think of the men and women serving in Afghanistan, Kuwait and around the world. They are making tremendous sacrifices to serve our nation and keep America free.
As holiday schedules get busy in the coming days and weeks, please don’t forget those who have given so much. Now in our 4th year of giving, Blue Ridge Communications invites you to share in adding some of the warmth of the yuletide season with Keystone Soldiers and their Stocking for Soldiers program, by sending much needed and requested food and hygiene items and Christmas cards to our men and women stationed and spending Christmas away from home in such countries as: Iraq, Afghanistan and Kuwait.
In its 11th year of operation, The Stockings for Soldier program is 100% funded by public donations. Since the recession, the donations have diminished. As a result, they sometimes have items to ship, but no money to ship them, or they have the funds, but not donations. Here is where we can help! This year we want to stuff Christmas stockings with much needed items, to be sent to our soldiers just in time for Christmas.
We would love to support our soldiers near and far. Please join us in recognizing and thanking our defenders of freedom. All Blue Ridge offices will be a collection site for items. After items are collected, please send them to Julianne at the 3rd Street office. Deadline to receive items is November 18, 2013. Items collected at the Newberry/Duncannon offices will be sent to Cindy at the Ephrata office collection site. Ephrata’s deadline is November 20; as the bulk of the items will be picked up at this location and taken to the processing center on November 25, 2103.
It is requested that we please pack and ship the food items separately from the other items and keep money separate from items.
Please include Christmas cards and photos of your office staff and collection…we will send them along to the soldiers as well.
Christmas Wish List for Care Packages:
This list is current and updated on Sept 10, 2013. Our packages go to all branches of the military and to locations in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Korea and any other troops who request support from home.
All items are sorted and packed according to the requests we get directly from the troops or their families. Since we are gearing up for the holiday season we have added the special holiday items to our list.
- Christmas Stockings - 12" to 20" in size, handmade or purchased
- Christmas hats like elf hats and reindeer antlers
- Paper or plastic Christmas decorations - no glass ornaments or lights please
- Ground or instant Coffee and hot tea. Coffee creamer and sugar packets too!
- *Power Bars, cereal bars, trail mix, granola bars and healthy snacks
- Slim Jims, Beef or Turkey Jerky
- Sunflower Seeds & Nuts
- *Individual snacks like crackers, cookies, cheese/cracker kits
- *Peanut Butter & Jelly – small size plastic jars please
- Candy canes
- Small sewing kits and manicure kits
- *Toothbrushes and small toothpaste
- Chap Stick with sunscreen, Blistex
- Deodorant - travel size
- *Foot Powder and foot cream for athlete's foot
- Odor Eaters (for boots), Dr. Scholl's foot pads, blister pads
- Hand Sanitizer - small size bottles to carry with them
- Mens’ and Ladies’ calf high socks or boot socks in black or white.
- Hand and foot warmers
- Thermal gloves or glove liners
- New or used game systems like PS3, PS2, WII, Xbox or Xbox 360
- Video games for the systems above or small hand-held games
- *CDs and DVDs - New or used are fine. Current releases are appreciated
- *AT&T Global Pre-Paid Calling Cards (available at www.aafes.com)
* = Items most needed or requested by the troops!
****Monetary donations are needed to help us ship the care packages.
**Please note: 1) The U.S. Postal Service regulations do not allow anything in aerosol cans to be shipped. 2) Shipping currently takes about 14-21 days to the combat zones. It takes us about a week to get everything sorted and boxed. Please keep this in mind when you are checking expiration dates on food items. 3) We are currently not accepting any books.
We appreciate your support for our troops and for Keystone Soldiers! Kyle Lord, Founder of Keystone Soldiers (after our previous collection) stated, “I would like to thank the Pencor family for their amazing efforts for Keystone Soldiers and for our troops. We have never worked with a group of people who embraced our project with such commitment and vigor. It has been a wonderful experience and is appreciated from the bottom of my heart. This project would not have happened without your support. The employees and donors at Blue Ridge Communications were very special standouts over the holiday season. Their enthusiasm and dedication to our project was unparalleled. They raised over $3,000 for shipping, collected 2,700 lbs. of items for stuffing the stockings, and collected over 2,000 cards! Thank you!